If You Smell Gas
If you think you have a natural gas emergency, go to a safe location.1. Immediately leave the area.
Then call SourceGas toll-free at 1-800-563-0012 24 hours a day. Do not e-mail us!
What To Do If You Smell Gas or Suspect A Gas Leak
2. If possible, turn off any equipment being used in or near the suspected leak. Abandon any equipment being used and move upwind from the suspected leak.
3. From a safe location, call 911 or your local emergency response number and the pipeline company. Call collect, if needed, and give your name, phone number, description of the leak, and its location.
4. Warn others to stay away when possible.
What NOT To Do If You Suspect A Gas Leak1. Do not touch, breathe, or make contact with the leaking liquids or gas. Stay upwind if possible.
2. Do not light a match, start an engine, use a telephone, turn on or off any type of electrical switch such as a light, garage door opener, etc., or do anything that may create static or a spark.
3. Do not attempt to extinguish any pipeline fire that may start.
4. Do not drive into a leak or vapor cloud area. Automobile engines may ignite the vapors.
5. Do not attempt to operate valves.